Sunday, November 4, 2012

Day 4: Pasta Fistful

Day 4 of "30 Days of Farm Kid Stories"




I fell in book-love with the first two pages of today’s farm kid story.

“Pasta! Scoop it up…

….or slurp it down.”


Eating spaghetti is a funny thing to watch. G imitates me by turning his miniature fork around clockwise in his plate full of noodles.  He gives up in 5 seconds and grabs a fistful. Little does G notice momma cuts up his noodles with a knife beforehand.  


In From Wheat to Pasta, a photo essay by Robert Egan, we follow how pasta is made starting at a wheat field. 




I enjoy pages 22 and 23 where detailed photos of long, folded dough hint at the final pasta product you and I purchase at the grocery store.




At the end of the book the author labels pasta types and gives phonetic spellings.

“rah dee a TOR eh” means radiator in Italian… and wouldn’t you know that little pasta shape looks like an old-fashioned heating element.

Have you made home-made pasta?  I haven’t. I do have memories of visiting my friend’s grandma when made-from-scratch ham and noodles sat on her dinner table. They didn’t last long!

What’s your favorite pasta shape?

Lauren




My Library List:
Preview Day: 30 Days of Farm Kid Stories
Day 1: One Moment

Day 2:  Perfect Pizza
Day 3:  Our Heartland
Day 4:  
 
Our blogging host Holly Spangler writes  “30 Days on a Prairie Farm” this month on her blog: My Generation.   
It’s a group party, of sorts!  Please join fellow bloggers as they tell their agricultural stories:

Beyer Beware: 30 Days, 30 Things You Never Knew About Food
Black Ink: Beef’s a Trip – 30 Days from Gate to Plate
Confessions of a Farm Wife: Life on Our Farm
Go Beyond the Barn: 30 Days of Farm Life Blessings
Kelly McCormick Photography: 30 Days of Thankfulness
Le Jardin da ma Vie: 30 Reasons Why I Love Being a Farmer’s Wife
Pinke Post: 30 Days of North Dakota November
Rural Route 2: 30 Days of the Not-So-Glamorous Life of This Farm Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment