Thursday, November 8, 2012

Day 8: Frowns turn into smiles


Day 8 of "30 Days of Farm Kid Stories"

I’ve seen this look on a face before.  Perhaps you have, too?


I love to see my son smile.  To see his I’m-up-to-no-good grin, melts my heart.  But I really like the frowns because eventually G comes back around and gives me a hug.


I love this next book too:   Who Grew My Soup by Tom Darbyshire.  





Phineus doesn’t want to eat his mother’s soup.  Similar to my G, he prefers deep-fried sweets. Mr. Matoo drops down from the sky in a hot air tomato and takes Phin on farm visits to see where the soup veggies come from.

“Farm to farm,
field to field, ,
whiz! whiz! whiz!
through the sky.
From onions so fine they could make a man cry,
to potatoes,
to peas,
in the blink of an eye.
They stalked the best celery
they got to know beans,
and met growers who know how to grow greener greens.”


Illustrator C.F. Payne draws our main character Phin with caricature facial expressions.  Exaggerated grimaces on the first half of the book change to happy “this-food-tastes-good” smiles in the second half. 

The rhythm and rhymes inside this book make me look forward to each page.  As the book says, “It’s souper-duper.”

What’s for dinner at your home tonight?

Lauren



My Library List:
Preview Day: 30 Days of Farm Kid Stories
Day 1: One Moment

Day 2:  Perfect Pizza
Day 3:  Our Heartland
Day 4: Pasta Fistful
Day 5: One Fast Grower
Day 6: Farmer Seuss
Day 7: Just One Cookie?




Our blogging host Holly Spangler writes  “30 Days on a Prairie Farm” this month on her blog: My Generation.  

It’s a group party, of sorts!  Please join fellow bloggers as they tell their agricultural stories:

Beyer Beware: 30 Days, 30 Things You Never Knew About Food
Black Ink: Beef’s a Trip – 30 Days from Gate to Plate
Confessions of a Farm Wife: Life on Our Farm
Go Beyond the Barn: 30 Days of Farm Life Blessings
Kelly McCormick Photography: 30 Days of Thankfulness
Le Jardin da ma Vie: 30 Reasons Why I Love Being a Farmer’s Wife
Pinke Post: 30 Days of North Dakota November
Rural Route 2: 30 Days of the Not-So-Glamorous Life of This Farm Wife


Our party has expanded!  Please be sure to also check out the below writers:

Touching Families: 30 Days of a Town Girl Touched by the Farming Life
This Land, This Life, This Farmer's Wife: 30 Days of Thankfulness on a Family Farm
Farmgirldays: 30 Days of Farm Kids Trapped in the City
My Cows and Pigs: 30 Days of "What's that?"
Dennis Olmstead: 30 Days in a Row
White House on the Prairie: 30 Days, 30 Posts
A Colorful Adventure: 30 Days of JP

No comments:

Post a Comment